Tuesday, October 11, 2016

What’s a fair price for an hour of Aretha?

"I believe that this same principle applies to my own profession. Over the years I have heard patients complain about various medical charges and fees. While we all know that there have been excesses, many of their gripes are misplaced, in my view. It’s not fair to equate the medical fee with the time that the physician expended on providing your care. A cardiac bypass operation takes just a few hours. A colonoscopy takes 10 minutes. Treating a patient in an emergency room with a drug overdose may take just a few hours. A psychiatrist might guide a suicidal patient to choose another path in half an hour. A spine injection to relieve chronic pain takes only a few minutes. A dermatologist recognizes a suspicious lesion in a few seconds. A seasoned surgeon tells an anxious patient after a 20-minute consultation that surgery is not necessary."

Another  excellent  article to read I am going  to  repost this on my Bigspringdoc.com blog also

No comments: