Friday, December 22, 2017

Mothers of all future Ohio's Down syndrome children probably you can send them to Paul Daugherty, pdaugherty@enquirer.com

, pdaugherty@enquirer.com
 An advocate of the present Ohio bill whohad the ultimate joy in taking care of  a downs  child.
should be a  resource for all future  mothers of  Down's syndrome children


"I also think this:
A woman’s right to choose is fundamental. This is the hottest of hot-button issues, I know. It’s not dinner conversation. I respect that. I don’t pass judgment. There is also the question of exclusivity. Why does Down syndrome get a break, and not another physical or intellectual disability? I’m grateful, certainly. But why limit the bill’s scope?
I think, too, that elected officials can do better with the day-to-day things we face: Health care access, meaningful employment and independence, among others.
I think this should not become merely a rallying cry for anti-abortion activists.
That’s all the stuff I think. Here is what I know:
The world is a better place with Jillian in it. She is an example of our better selves. My mother once said to me, “Jillian is who the rest of us should be, but aren’t.” I can’t think of a better description.
Jillian isn’t unique. She is “special” only in the way we think all our kids are special. She comes with her own flaws and talents, same as the rest of us. Her innate gifts involve spectacular shows of the heart. We are perfectly blessed that she is family, and we get to know her.
The bill, if passed, will face tough sledding. The ACLU won’t love it. Similar laws in Indiana and Louisiana have been blocked by the courts. (One, in North Dakota, has not.)
So we’ll see what happens.
If only everyone could experience our joy. This wouldn’t be much of a debate then, would it?"

No comments: