Thursday, December 01, 2016

The Indian Supreme Court Justices should grow up.

SC of India national anthem verdict 


"If standing up for the National Anthem in a theatre makes me a patriot, the Supreme Court is right. Bring it on.
It is similar to, as some priests and pandas will tell you, taking a dip in the holy Ganges: Just one act of symbolism washes away all my sins.
I can, still, nonchalantly walk past victims of road accidents (74 percent do that), watch quietly as women are harassed in public, stay silent when female foetuses are killed (2,000 daily), not pay my taxes (only one percent pay their taxes religiously), ignore the Army's calls for recruitment, spit my paan-gutkha in public and take a leak wherever and whenever I want.
But, as long as I am willing to chant the National Anthem, I retain the right to call myself a patriot.
Thank you, my Lord, can we now go back to Grand Masti now?"

"Love and respect for the country, its Flag and the National Anthem are natural reactions of a civilised, conscientious mind. They are natural reflections of the emotions we feel. Let me recount a story to explain it.
In August 2008, all of India woke up to an unusual sight: The singing of Jana Gana Mana accompanied by the rising Tricolor at an Olympic Games after 28 years. At Beijing, when an Indian made us proud by winning an individual gold, gave us the rare pleasure of watching the entire world stadium stand up to Jana Gana Mana and salute our Tiranga, I am sure every Indian watching would have felt patriotism singing in his veins, pride and joy dance about in the arteries.
India needs such moments of genuine pride, glory and happiness to relish the sight of the Flag, thump chests with pride while chanting the anthem.
But, Jana Gana Mana before Dirty Picture? Sorry, my lord, with due respect, I disagree."

Well said 

No comments: