Wednesday, May 30, 2018

The Modern Wolf wolf story

 when I use my EHR, as soon as I finish entering orders in and press the enter button I am presented with a long list of possible interactions. What do I do press the quick accept button and move on,
is this medical negligence?

I don't know.
 At a theoretical level, yes! but in practice, this is the most common response of the majority of Physicians so I am following the standard of care, so it is not Medical negligence.

why do I do this? because of my Hubris? NO!
simply due to garbage information overload because some idiot somewhere decided to sue someone for he or she not following a common sense approach, stating the provider should have looked at and warned him/her about possible interactions.

So EHR abounds in "Artificial intelligence" which is absolutely useless
The ICU is full of monitors and alarms which are frequently silenced.

 "What these monitors do exceedingly well is sound alarms, an average of one alarm every eight minutes, or more than 180 per patient per day. What is our most common response to an alarm? We look for the button to silence the nuisance because, unlike those in a Boeing cockpit, say, our alarms are rarely diagnosing genuine danger  "

This is the Modern medicine's  Wolf Wolf story

No comments: