Sunday, May 27, 2018

Why telemedicine is not a success in USA?

Many forces keep telemedicine from achieving its potential to transform care delivery: the excess workload created for the care provider, the likely change in patients’ health-care-use behavior,  the economics of reimbursement, the asinine rule called HIPAA and the obsolete system of different medical licenses for different states.

 a few days ago my brother who is  73 years old sent me some pictures.
theses showed me the arm which was badly bruised while he was vacationing in Hawaii.
No, he was nowhere near the erupting volcanos.

After looking at the pictures I reassured him he could complete his vacation and then go see his  PCP and get an  MRI. His own PCP could not have done this. ( By the way, I and my brother have made a contract that whatever advice medical or nonmedical is strictly between family members and no doctor-patient relationship exists between us. I do not  prescribe  any medications or order any tests ) this saved him a frantic trip to an  urgent care facility or  Emergency room in  Hawaii, where  he would have had to see an out of network physician and have  some  imaging done  at a great cost to him  or  cut short his vacation and  fly back to Houston  and  beg for an  appointment  with his busy and  overworked  PCP.

The same advice, I could provide to a number of new patients de novo or as a  second opinion for a reasonable fee all across the earth with the present day technology.

No comments: