Sunday, November 24, 2013

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi's observations about good handwriting

 Among us 4 bothers I have the worst handwriting .
My sons' handwriting is even worse than mine,but my daughter's handwriting is better than mine.
Just because the computer and smartphone are available should be no excuse for not learning good  handwriting.
But I see that  bad handwriting is  not due to the advent of these gadgets but due to a choice made by  a person  and  how strictly  the  parents and  teachers enforce the discipline.
\I am still paying the penalty of another neglect, I do not know
whence I got the notion that good handwriting was not a
necessary part of education, but I retained it until I went to
England. When later, especially in South Africa, I saw the
beautiful handwriting of lawyers and young men born and
educated in South Africa, I was ashamed of myself and
repented of my neglect. I saw that bad handwriting should be
regarded as a sign of an imperfect education. I tried later to
improve mine, but it was too late. I could never repair the
neglect of my youth. Let every young man and woman be
warned by my example, and understand that good handwriting
is a necessary part of education. I am now of opinion that
children should first be taught the art of drawing before
learning how to write. Let the chi Id learn his letters by
observation as he does different objects, such as flowers, birds,
etc., and let him learn handwriting only after he has learnt to draw
objects. He will then write a beautifully formed hand.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

No comments: