Saturday, October 20, 2018

How socalled regulation and safety is killing innovation everywhere

How so called regulation and safety is killing innovation everywhere 

 Just read this 
 is it even remotely possible to do today for any kid in America or for that matter india where  regulation and safety is almost nonexistent?

"Part of my success in school I owe to my father, whom J plagued with incessant questions until I knew more chemistry than my teachers. For Christmas I was given my first chemistry set when I was five years old—a serious British-made set in the days before substances more interesting than salt and sugar were considered poisons. I vividly remember, that Christmas day, watching my father transform a glass of water into a bright purple-red solution with a single tiny crystal of potassium permanganate, and then make the color vanish by adding a pinch of sodium thiosulphate. In the years that followed I assembled a collection of chemicals and simple apparatus. In those days it was easy to obtain any chemicals one wanted. At age 14 1 went downtown by streetcar and came back with two brown glass-stoppered one- pound bottles of concentrated sulphuric acid and nitric acid. My collection already included a four-ounce bottle of potassium cyanide. I produced hydrogen by pouring hydrochloric acid over zinc carpet binding, and got the gas into a rubber balloon by looping its neck over the neck of a medicine bottle. I sent off many hydrogen balloons with attached notes, one of which brought an answer, after many months, in French, from a farmer's dau htcr 100 miles away in Sherbrooke, Quebec.
 I mixed potassium chlorate (which I bought by the pound) with sugar and a small amount of potassium ferrocyanide, put the mixture in a sturdy brass cannon replica inherited from my grandfather, and packed it with a rag. A match inserted into the Touch-hole produced a huge explosion that rattled the neighbors' kitchen pans, gave rise to a thin suspension of smoke over Outremont, and brought two burly French policemen to the house. I told them that I had put Copyfish Copyfish

No comments: